The inaugural season of The Pasadena Pops at the Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden in 2012 will include four open-air monthly summer concerts that kick-off June 16 and feature conductor Marvin Hamlisch with stars Lucie Arnaz and Robert Klein.
Arnaz and Klein will entertain the audience with their comedy and singing their favorite songs and performing together in a unique concert version of Hamlisch’s own Broadway musical They’re Playing Our Song along, with a special musical tribute to Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.
With longtime Arcadia-based Arboretum orchestra CalPhil moving across the street next summer to perform its bi-weekly Festival on the Green concerts on the infield at the Santa Anita Park race track, the Arboretum’s new resident orchestra and presenting partner has announced the monthly 2012 summer schedule:
June 16 – THEY’RE PLAYING OUR SONG
5:30 p.m.: Picnicking
7:30 p.m.: Concert w/ guests Lucie Arnaz and Robert Klein
July 21 – Michael Feinstein
Multi-platinum-selling, five-time Grammy-nominated entertainer and the master of the Great American Songbook – an old-fashioned crooner, with luxuriant vocals who melds the traditions of old and new
August 18 – La Dolce Vita
Engages the vocal prowess and seduction of pop-opera group Poperazzi performing hit songs from Pavarotti to Jersey Boys, classic Sinatra to the Rolling Stones and everything in between.
Conductor: Michael Krajewski
Guest artists: Poperazzi
September 8 – Gershwin on the Green
Guest artist pianist Kevin Cole is the definitive interpreter of the music of George Gershwin.
Those who have attended CalPhil concerts at the Arboretum will notice a few changes at the venue in 2012:
- Spacious circular table layout with fine linens creating a more intimate experience, or lawn seating for those who want to bring a blanket or low-back chair, with picnic-dining with your family and friends remaining an option.
- Subscribers will receive free on-site parking packages. Parking and entry to the venue will be more convenient and customer-friendly.
- Wider variety of popular onsite food vendors from delicious food trucks, tantalizing desserts and a full beverage center serving quality beer, wine, coffee and other delights.
- Pre-ordered gourmet picnic dinners by esteemed restaurant partners for convenient onsite pick up. Patrons are also welcome to bring their own picnic meals and beverages.
- Full line of VIP flush-able comfort stations with individual hand washing facilities inside, air conditioning and lighting in each unit. It will feel like using any other restroom in an indoor venue.
- 2 fully functioning professional ticket offices onsite for each concert, creating more options for patrons’ entry to the venue with direct ticket printing and Will Call.
- Innovative stage design with a superior outdoor acoustical shell, a premiere concert experience with enhanced lighting and production value, large video screens featuring three-camera live action from the stage.
- Complete high quality JBL line- array speaker systems with grounds speakers for a spectrum of sound coverage that ensures every seat from the first row to the back lawn is crystal clear.
The Pasadena Pops and Symphony musicians are heard internationally through the film and television industry. The Pops presents the Great American Songbook, light classics, Broadway and Hollywood hits, and Marvin Hamlisch’s own list of acclaimed credits.
“The Arboretum is unquestionably one of the nation’s premier environments for outdoor music and the only setting in the San Gabriel Valley specifically designed to provide the ultimate summer concert experience,” said Pasadena Symphony and Pops’ CEO Paul Jan Zdunek.
“Los Angeles, the San Gabriel Valley and the Arboretum are indeed fortunate to have a composer/conductor of Hamlisch’s international stature and rich experience leading the Pasadena Pops,” states League of American Orchestras President & CEO, Jesse Rosen.
Hamlisch, Principal Pops Conductor and an Oscar, Grammy, Emmy, Tony, Golden Globe and Pulitzer Prize winning Composer-Conductor, says, “Having worked with many members of the Pasadena Symphony and Pops over the decades, I am delighted to bring the joy we have shared in the studio and to showcase these fabulous musicians in front of live concert audiences at the spectacular Los Angeles County Arboretum next summer.”
Subscribers can immediately secure priority seating, free parking and special discounts. Single tickets are $25-$90; tickets for kids 14 and under are $10.
Purchase by phone 626.793.7172 x16 or online at www.pasadenasymphony-pops.org or in person at 117 E. Colorado Blvd. Suite 200, Pasadena CA
– by Scott Hettrick