Road construction to improve traffic flow along Huntington Drive between Colorado Place and Santa Anita Avenue has begun. Funded in part by a grant from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, work will continue through September at the following areas:
- A third through-lane on westbound Huntington Drive at Colorado Place
- An additional dedicated right-turn lane on the northeast-bound approach of Huntington Drive at Santa Clara Street (this involves cutting back a small area of the County’s Arcadia Park)
- A second left-turn lane in both the northbound and southbound approaches of Santa Anita Avenue at Huntington Drive
According to the latest edition of the Arcadia Hot Sheet, the work will also include reconstruction of medians, parkways, drainage facilities and channelizing islands, sidewalks, and traffic signal improvements, and striping modifications.
The project will also impose two new permanent traffic restrictions:
- A raised median to be constructed on Huntington Drive at San Rafael Road to restrict left turns into and out of San Rafael. This project will be delayed until after detours related to work on the Gold Line bridge are complete.
- Raised medians on Santa Anita Avenue will be modified to close the opening at the alleys directly north and south of Huntington Drive to restrict left turns into and out of the alleys.
During all of the above construction, all road segments will remain open but there will be periods that require some lane closures and traffic delays.
For more information, contact Tim Kelleher, senior engineering assistant, at 574-5484.
– By Scott Hettrick