With an all-time high of 875 in attendance, Methodist Hospital’s 19th annual Mardi Gras also raised a record-breaking $144,000 to benefit the hospital’s important cancer program.
This year’s event was the most profitable ever, with 37 of the area’s top restaurants providing delicious fare at Sirona’s in beautiful Santa Anita Park on March 4. Restaurants included Benihana, Celestino’s Ristorante & Bar, Hai Di Lao Hotpot, Green Street Restaurant, La Luna Negra, Matt Denny’s, Sena on Myrtle and Toro Sushi and Bar, just to name a few.
California 1980s tribute band The 80z All Stars, provided lively music for dancing and entertainment. The annual Mardi Gras parade featured the King of Mardi Gras, former Methodist Hospital chief of staff and foundation board member Dr. James Lin.
Methodist Hospital President and CEO Dan Ausman recognized Dr. Lin for his longtime support of Methodist Hospital and the outstanding clinical care he has provided to thousands of patients. Also, a special commendation was presented by a representative of Supervisor Michael Antonovich.
“I feel extremely honored, and I want to continue helping the foundation raise funds for the cancer program, which is one of the clinical areas the hospital strives diligently to expand and strengthen,” Dr. Lin said. “It’s important that we remain competitive and on the cutting edge, and Mardi Gras helps us do just that.”
Other fun activities of the night included a silent auction and a raffle. Winner of the $1,000 drawing was Robert Bray, a Methodist Hospital employee.
Much of the huge success of the event can be attributed to Mardi Gras co-chairs Sherry Wang, Methodist Hospital Foundation board member and two-time chair; longtime hospital supporter Patty Soldo, who also chaired for the second time; and four-time chair/co-chair Lindburgh McPherson. Of course, the co-chairs depended heavily on the hard work of their volunteer committee as well. Foundation President Michael Driebe thanked the co-chairs and presented special tokens of appreciation.
The Mardi Gras co-chairs expressed their grateful appreciation of the many sponsors who helped make the event a success as well:
- Mardi Gras Sponsors: Allied Physicians of California IPA & Arcadia Methodist IPA
- Carnivale Sponsors: Anonymous, Care Ambulance Service, Inc. – Toby Reclusado, Casa Colina, DaVita HealthCare Partners – Region 1, Methodist Hospital Medical Staff and SuperCare
- Ragin’ Cajun Sponsors: Arcadia Radiology Medical Group, Dr. Durdana Gilani and Dr. Hafeez Khan, RSI/Medic 1 Ambulance and Shone and Sherry
- Printing Sponsor: Solutions & More
- Purple, Green & Gold Sponsors: Accredited Home Care Services; Michael S. Agron, MD, Emergency Medical Management Associates, Inc.; BLIA Arcadia Sub-Chapter; Care Best Home Health; Citizens Business Bank; Kathleen Ellison; Dr. Durdana Gilani and Dr. Hafeez Khan; Huntingtono Drive Healthcare Center; Mission Care Center; Monrovia Gardens Healthcare Center; Ron and Nan Okum; Drs. Monty B. Polonsky and Sharon J. Yee; Melinda Rogers and William Rogers; San Gabriel Valley Perinatal Medical Group, Inc.; Lee and Mickey Segal; Skilled Wound Care; Dr. Stephen and Patty Soldo; Dr. Richard Sun, DDS; Tennis Docs Bartley, Habib, Raj and Vogelbach; Sherry Taylor, VITAS Innovative Hospice Care; Dr. Henry Wang; Westfield Santa Anita