E. J. Baldwin’s great thoroughbred Emperor of Norwalk died the day after his own track opened in December of 1907. He erected a headstone for the Emperor’s grave and later the remains of the other American Derby winners were interred there. Years after Lucky’s death, Anita built a giant concrete Maltese Cross in its place, and eventually, the monument and those horses who rested beneath it were transferred from the ranch to the paddock garden of today’s Santa Anita racetrack. Visitors at the racetrack can view this impressive monument.
The Thoroughbred Racing Walk of Champions is a tribute to the horse racing community that has been an important part of Arcadia’s history for more than 100 years. Bronze plaques set in the sidewalks recognize horses, trainers, jockeys and other notables who have contributed to this history. The Walk is located along Arcadia’s Huntington Drive from Santa Anita Avenue to Second Avenue, and north along First Avenue. The Zenyatta plaque can be seen at the Arcadia Transit Plaza. The Society invites the public to view this interesting piece of Arcadia’s history.
We hope you enjoy our Historical
Tid Bits about Arcadia, CA.
Please feel free to share, post, tweet and spread the history!
Carol Libby & Karen Hou
Arcadia Historical Society