In 1924, Prince Erik of Denmark married the Booth lumber fortune heiress of Canada and came to Arcadia to live. He bought 8 acres of land on the northwest corner of Santa Anita Avenue and Las Tunas. There he built a stately home incorporating the style of his country. Numerous hen houses were erected on the property. He assumed American ways, donned old clothes and worked beside his help on the ranch, raising poultry for a hobby. He and his wife lived there until 1928, when they left the ranch and went back to Denmark. The Prince returned to the ranch in 1938 to dispose of the property, as he and his wife had parted and then divorced.
The property belongs to the Arcadia Congregational Church and the house, named Prince Erik Hall, contains the office of the Arcadia Historical Society.
We hope you enjoy our Historical Tid Bits about Arcadia, CA
Please feel free to share, post, tweet and spread the history!
Carol Libby & Karen Hou
Arcadia Historical Society