In 1936, Anita Baldwin sold 1,300 acres of the Baldwin Ranch to Harry Chandler who represented a real estate syndicate. The sale included land from the Pacific Electric railroad tracts on Huntington Drive, north to Colorado Blvd and from Michillinda on the west, to the rear property lines of the homes on Santa Anita Avenue on the east. (Race track holdings and several other small parcels were not included.)
Rancho Santa Anita Corporation would be responsible for the development of the Santa Anita village in 1937, next came the Rancho Santa Anita above Foothill, then the lower Rancho. The Santa Anita Gardens came next and finally the Colorado Oaks in the early 1950s. The strip of land between Huntington Drive and the Pacific Electric railroad tracks would be developed by the City of Arcadia as a civic center and the future hospital site.
We hope you enjoy our Historical Tid Bits about Arcadia, CA
Please feel free to share, post, tweet and spread the history!
Carol Libby & Karen Hou
Arcadia Historical Society