The end of WWI in 1918 brought about renewed growth of large portions in Arcadia. The first tract that was developed after the war was located between Third and Fifth Avenues and from Genoa Street to Duarte Road. The growth in West Arcadia became heavy and widespread. It began with a tract south of Palm Drive and west of El Monte, followed by seventy acres of five-acre lots offered from Baldwin to Holly opening Longden Avenue (then named Valnet) through the tract. The year of 1922 found Norman, Lemon, and parts of Naomi Avenues opened from Baldwin to Holly. The Peach Orchard Tract completed the area from Duarte to Camino Real. Finally, Palm Drive opened west from Santa Anita Avenue. Other streets along Baldwin from Palm to Woodruff completed the West Arcadia area for years to come.
It is interesting to note that the small area located south of Huntington Drive between Baldwin and Holly Avenues, became Arcadia’s exclusive residential location in 1920 when it was developed. The “Fairview Acres” featured the Spanish stucco home, with tile roof, surrounded by palm trees, giving it the typical Californian look so popular at the time.
We hope you enjoy our Historical Tid Bits about Arcadia, CA
Please feel free to share, post, tweet and spread the history!
Carol Libby & Karen Hou
Arcadia Historical Society