In 1923, the Cook Woodley Company acquired the title to a large parcel of Clara Baldwin Stocker’s land. This land extended from White Oak (now Foothill Blvd) north to the mountains and from Santa Anita Avenue east to the Santa Anita Wash. (An additional acreage south of Foothill was also included.) A subdivision of home sites was developed there in 1924 and offered at a $10,000 minimum construction cost, which was so high that few lots sold. The tract remained almost dormant until 1941 when restrictions were finally lowered to $6,000 and then even a bit lower after WWII.
“Havenhurst” was developed south of Foothill Blvd., east of the Santa Anita Wash to 5thAvenue and north of Colorado Blvd to Laurel Avenue. The builders topped the land with good soil and transferred it into an attractive residential district. With a low down payment for a home of about $3,000, the project flourished. It was the first of its kind in Arcadia, wherein buyers could select a stock plan for the company to construct.
Today, “Havenhurst” is known as the “Eisenhower Tract.”
We hope you enjoy our Historical Tid Bits about Arcadia, CA
Please feel free to share, post, tweet and spread the history!
Carol Libby & Karen Hou
Arcadia Historical Society