Anita owned ninety-three acres north of Foothill Blvd. west of Baldwin Avenue and east of Michillinda Avenue, land that was not within Arcadia’s city limits. She petitioned for annexation to Arcadia. With voter approval it became a highly desirable residential area, ultimately called the “Upper Rancho” and developed by the Rancho Santa Anita Corporation. On the southeast corner of this large piece of property (Baldwin & Foothill) was her estate, “Anoakia.” The Raymond Chandler Estate was located in this area, as well.
Heirs of the Stocker Estate developed vast acreage south of Duarte Road that would become known as “Baldwin Stocker Acres.” Development began in 1935 with 100 foot frontage lots on Le Roy Avenue, between Holly and El Monte Avenues. Development continued southward toward Longden Avenue with building restrictions imposed to demand a high class of homes.
We hope you enjoy our Historical Tid Bits about Arcadia, CA
Please feel free to share, post, tweet and spread the history!
Carol Libby & Karen Hou
Arcadia Historical Society