The Pony Express Museum was an instant success and drew record crowds until its closure in 1955. In 1939, Mr. Lyon purchased an abandoned, narrow-gauge train from Nevada and constructed a circular track on his property offering short rides to museum visitors. He called the ride the “Haw Haw Route,” and encouraged the kids to climb the train, ring the bell and make all kinds of noise, as he felt it could bring more visitors to his museum.
One of the buildings on the property housed 30 rooms, some with themed displays: saloon furnishings, a printing office, mining equipment, toys, dolls, musical instruments, along with old signs, bottles, kerosene lamps, guns, saddles, chamber pots, dishes, “wanted” posters, clothing & hats, stamps and currency.
After W. Parker Lyon died in 1949, his son took over the management of the museum for about 6 years. He sold the museum and its contents to nightclub entrepreneur William Harrah. The collection of more than one million treasures was carted off to Reno; later to be broken up and sold to private investors.
We hope you enjoy our Historical Tid Bits about Arcadia, CA
Please feel free to share, post, tweet and spread the history!
Carol Libby & Karen Hou
Arcadia Historical Society