Please feel free to share, post, tweet and spread the history!
This photograph shows Huntington Drive in 1927, looking east toward Monrovia from Santa Anita Avenue. On the left is Arcadia’s only church built in 1923 to replace the first church constructed there in 1918. Anita Baldwin sold the property to the congregation for
$1,600 in 1914, and donated $ 5,000 toward the 1923 church’s construction. (The church was moved in 1934 to First Avenue and Alice street.) Today’s Denny’s Restaurant with historic windmill occupies the corner.
Further east at the next corner is Arcadia’s first City Hall, built in 1918.
At this time, a few businesses were relocating to Huntington Drive from the main business district on North First Avenue. Arcadians were proud of this paved street with curbs and sidewalks and the decorative street lamps. And, its reputation was improving, to become a poultry- producing center.
We hope you enjoy our Historical Tid Bits about Arcadia, CA
Carol Libby & Karen Hou
Arcadia Historical Society